Finding solace in imperfection

Over the past few days, I have tried to consciously maintain some distance from social media. The reasons were multiple — placing too much importance on my online interactions, being affected by arguments that took place there, and investing more time and energy in that unreal world than the real one. I was feeling a bit uneasy with all of this. There was a kind of gloominess in my disposition, which was unexplained. I decided to take a break.

I couldn’t be very successful in the effort and ended up going back to my favourite medium, Twitter. Although I haven’t quite gotten back to my usual form, the interactions have become limited. Now, direct messages far exceed the number of posts I usually spammed my followers’ timelines with. And when I do post or respond, I try to ignore the haters, the trolls. Just like we do in real life.

A few articles/features I have read recently pointed toward what could really be wrong — the idea of being ‘perfect’ and ‘happy’ all the time. Too many people I know online are extremely forgiving, always happy, understanding and far too reasonable for my rationale. Why, then, would I not feel lacking as a person when I compare my own behaviour with theirs? There is my problem. I am too human to be perfect. Am I not forgiving, happy or understanding? Mostly, yes. Are they not unhappy, unforgiving or difficult? At times, yes, but we don’t get to see that side. Everyone has a lot of friends who value them highly and regularly bond with, over food, tea or drinks. Don’t I have such friends? I do!

The deluge of stay-happy and upbeat messages we receive on Whatsapp and read on Twitter or Facebook everyday is actually overwhelming. It’s almost impossible to match up to those standards of perfection. So, chuck it!

Let’s find solace in imperfection. Let’s just enjoy the small things in life, instead of going after paragons of virtue and try to emulate them. Let’s read and appreciate the stories of bravery, of overcoming life struggles, of beautiful hearts and move on. Let’s try spending time with those who wait for us to put down the phones and talk to them, in place of arguing with total strangers over things that don’t really matter to most of them. Let’s share moments with loved ones, who will bear with us, come irritation or anger, instead of wasting time trying to reason with trolls.

Let’s go back to life.


Comments

skill f said…
Social media is so negative...
Priyanka said…
It gets to you at times
phatichar said…
Beautifully put. And I agree with every word here.

Popular posts from this blog

Cutting Chai?

Your tree...